Week 1




During this project I will be recreating an area from Dead Space 2 in Unreal Engine 4. The focus of the project is to get used to using tiling textures, master materials, and channel packing.

This week has been used to block out/low poly model some of the main repeated sections and achieve a scale as accurate as I can.


The in-game environment:



The screenshots below show my progress at the end of each days where it was recorded, although this week I spent Friday and Saturday working on another project.

04/02/2017

I began with looking up how tall the protagonist of the game was meant to be, and according to a wiki he is 183cm tall. I rounded this to 180 and started by giving the ramp shown below a width of 180cm, which was then used to estimate the size of the other objects around it.




05/02/2017

One of my main goals was to find the right width of the space in between the large pillars in the room, this is because I needed to make a modular section of room that includes it.




06/02/2017

I did a short test in UE4's third person template to see if the scale felt correct there. I positioned the camera and changed the run speed of the third person character to match how it looks in the game as closely as possible, as I felt this would help me visualize the scale better.




07/02/2017

I wasn't happy with the scale so I went back and used the hand rail as a guide for scale instead. This worked out quite well as I could use the distance between the hand rail bars as a point of reference when scaling other objects.

The screenshot shows the progress on the modular room section. The coloured parts are some of the boxes and plane primitives that I used extensively for measuring distances in the scene.




08/02/2017

Now that I was satisfied with the width of one of these sections, I began working on the basic detail on the corridors and archways, which was mainly to indicate where the stained glass windows would be placed.




09/02/2017

There are no screenshots for this day, but I spent it working on the slanted upper walkway piece that can be seen in the screenshots from the 12th. This proved a bit of a challenge at first because it required a different approach to the previous modular parts.
I mainly played around with FFD modifiers on this part until I found something I was happy with.


12/02/2017

After taking a two day break I came back and did some work on the roof sections and the lower walkway ramp. In addition I did more tests in engine and the scale of the pillar sections seems a lot better now.

My next task is find the correct width of the room, as it looks too wide currently, and I think this may be a combination of the stairs not being wide enough and the overall room sides being too far apart.

ARCHIVE
Week 1 - 12/02/2017
Week 2 - 19/02/2017
Week 3 - 26/02/2017
Week 4 - 05/03/2017
Week 5 - 12/03/2017
Week 6 - 19/03/2017
Week 7 - 26/03/2017
Week 8 - 02/04/2017
Week 9 - 16/04/2017
Week 10 - 23/04/2017